DemolitionUnder some circumstance such as the house/building is structurally unstable,as a builder you would require to demolish the house/building.Generally, if you intend to demolish a building, you will require giving six weeks prior notice to the Local Authority Building Control before demolition begins.

Please call Plan B Architecture today on  0208 4072472 to find out how we can help you with your planning needs for the demolition.



Do I Need Planning Permission?

In most cases you will not need to apply for planning permission to knock down a building, unless the council has made an article for direction restricting the permitted development rights that apply to demolition.

If you decide to demolish a building, even one which has suffered fire or storm damage, it does not automatically follow that you will get planning permission to build any replacement structure or to change the use of the site.

Where demolition of any kind of building is proposed, the council may wish to agree the details of how you intend to carry out the demolition and how you propose to restore the site afterwards.You will need to apply for a formal decision on whether the council wishes to approve these details before you start demolition. This is what is called a "prior approval application" and your council will be able to explain what it involves. 

In a Conservation Area: If your property is in a Conservation Area You do not normally need to make a planning application to demolish a listed building or to demolish a building in a conservation area. However, you may need listed building or conservation area consent.It is absolutely necessary to obtain the required conservation area consent prior to beginning any works. Going ahead without this may result in a fine or imprisonment, or both.

Demolition in Flats or Maisonettes: Please check with your local authority prior to starting any works.
Note - If you are a leaseholder you may need to get permission from your landlord, freeholder or management company.

Do I Need Building Regulations?

The Local Authority Building Control may decide to issue a notice within six weeks on receipt of the notification to specify conditions that need to be met which may include precautions to protect adjoining properties and the public. 

Demolition work must also comply with the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 1994 and a health and safety plan produced by the principal contractor.Building Regulations relating to site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture will need to be met once the preparation work starts on the site. 

Demolition is dealt with under the Building Act 1984. Generally, it requires six weeks prior notice to be given to the Local Authority Building Control before demolition begins.If you are unsure about whether you are required to comply, you may wish to contact your local Building Control body.

How Plan B Architecture can help you

At Plan B Architecture we would be glad to assist you with any query you may have regarding Demolitions

Please call Plan B Architecture Today On 0208 4072472 To Find Out How We Can Help You With Information On Demolition.

Last modified on Thursday, 09 November 2017 18:09