A lot of streets in the UK have properties which are two or more storeys high and generally fall into the category of big huge houses. As maintenance of such big properties prove difficult many owners and developers convert the properties into flats which is also the demand of the current times.

Converting your houde into flats can be a profitable proposition.If you decide to do so,you would need to submit to council a change of usage planning application.All such applications must have a scaled architectural planning drawings.




Do I Need Planning Permission?

The Town and Country Planning Order puts uses of land and buildings into various categories known as 'Use Classes' including houses. If you intend to convert your house into flats you will require ‘change of use’ permission from the local authority.
Most external building work associated with a change of use is likely to require planning permission.
House to flat conversion is dependent on various criteria first and foremost of which is the size of the existing house. Not all houses can be converted into flats.Before you negotiate a lease or buy a property for flat conversion, you must get advice from your local council regarding t your intended use and your chances of getting the permission for it.

Change of use in a Conservation Area: If you are planning a house to flat conversion in a conservation area, Planning Permission would be required prior to beginning any works. It is absolutely necessary to obtain the required conservation area consent prior to beginning any works. Going ahead without this may result in a fine or imprisonment, or both.

Change of use into Flats or Bedsits: If you intend to convert a house into various flats or bedsits you will require planning permission.

Do I Need Building Regulations?

The building regulations may apply to change of use of an existing building into flats.
For assessing your specific case please call Plan B Architecture at 0208 4072472

How Plan B Architecture can help you

At Plan B Architecture we would be glad to assist you with any query you may have regarding your Change of use. Should you need Change of use planning permission, we would be glad to assist you with all elements of your application.If you would require drawing only, we can provide you with detailed existing and proposed drawings for all types of Change of use. 

Call Plan B Architecture Today On 0208 4072472 To Find Out How We Can Help You With Your Change of Use.

Last modified on Sunday, 21 January 2018 11:14