If you have a big space around your house like a big rear garden it may be possible that you can build an out house which can provide an added extra space apart from your house.Depending on the design and various other criteria, the homeowner may apply for permitted development or Planning permission for an outbuilding.
Making an outbuilding can provide the following benefit:

Additional storage space.
For those wishing to work from home, an outbuilding can provide the  answer when pace within the house is at a premium.
    •    The cost of creating an outbuilding often equates to less than the stamp duty on an average house sell.
    •    A sympathetic and well designed outside room will add value to your property. 



Do I Need Planning Permission?

Planning to build an outbuilding in your garden? You will need planning permission if;
•    The outbuilding is within 2m of a boundary, the maximum height of the structure is greater than 2.5m.
•    The outbuilding is situated forward of the existing house.
•    The outbuilding is more than a single storey structure and has an eaves height greater than 2.5m and is higher than 4m with a pitched roof or 3m for any other roof.
•    The outbuilding is faces the highway and covers more than 50% of the land around the original house.
•    The structure has a veranda, balcony or raised platform.
Outbuilding in a Conservation Area: If you are planning to build an outbuilding to your house in a conservation area, Planning Permission would be required if the proposal lies at the side of property. It is absolutely necessary to obtain the required conservation area consent prior to beginning any works. Going ahead without this may result in a fine or imprisonment, or both.
Outbuildings in Flats: If you live in a flat and intend to construct an outbuilding there is likelihood that you will require planning permission. You must check with your local authority giving them details of your proposal.

Do I Need Building Regulations?

If you want to put up small detached buildings such as a garden shed or summerhouse in your garden, building regulations will not normally apply if the floor area of the building is less than 15 square metres and contains NO sleeping accommodation.
If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building contains NO sleeping accommodation and is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials.

How Plan B Architecture can help you

At Plan B Architecture we would be glad to assist you with any query you may have regarding your Outbuilding. Should you need Outbuilding planning permission, we would be glad to assist you with all elements of your application.
If you would require drawing only, we can provide you with detailed existing and proposed drawings for all types of Outbuilding.
Call Plan B Architecture Today On 0208 4072472 To Find Out How We Can Help You With Your Outbbuilding.

Last modified on Sunday, 21 January 2018 11:09