What is planning?
Planning or planning control is the process of managing the development of land and buildings for any specific area. The purposes of this process is to safeguard the best of our heritage and improve the infrastructure upon which we depend for a civilised existence.

The local planning authority is responsible for deciding whether a development - anything from an extension on a house to a new block of flats - should go ahead. Your local planning authority (LPA) – usually the district or borough council – is responsible for deciding whether a proposed development should be allowed to go ahead.

Each local planning authority has their guidelines for the local development outlining how planning will be managed for that area even if it relates to small houses and householders.

Most types of householder development require planning permission from your local authority. Also, some minor building works– known as permitted development – are automatically allowed.
LPAs can also grant planning permission retrospectively for planning applications submitted after development work has been carried out. Please check our retrospective planning application section for further details.

Under the Planning categories section, we have categorised the type of common developments undertaken by the householders to help you understand the planning process better.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for your specific planning related query. We always provide FREE consultations to your queries.


If you intend to start work on property or land that you own it’s your responsibility to seek out the approvals, permissions and consents . As there are quite a few different types of planning applications, we at Plan B Architecture can advise you on which planning application your project would require and the whole process including time scales, cost and what you need to submit.

Most of the householder projects come under the usual range of consents including full planning permission, lawful development certificates, listed building and conservation area consent.

On receipt of a planning application, your local planning authority will firstly check the application to determine whether it’s complete. Once an application has been validated and registered, the local planning authority (LPA) will then publicise and consult on it.

You must also be aware that by law, any planning permission granted expires after a certain period. Please contact us to find out how to extend your permission and other consents you may need before you start any building work.

Please note that Building Regulations approval is a separate matter from obtaining planning permission for your work. To know more about Building Regulations click here.


Most of the common householders building work and small commercial work involve any of the following planning application and consent.Please click on any of the categories to see the case studies on the projects undertaken by Plan B Architecture.

•    Householder planning
•    Full planning  
•    Conservation area consent
•    Advertisement consent
•    Lawful Development Certificate (LDC)
•    Retrospective Planning  

You will have to ask for permission from your local planning authority if  you intend to do any following building works to your property e.g.

•    Extensions
•    Conservatories
•    Loft conversions
•    Dormer windows
•    Garages
•    outbuildings

Please note that planning permission is not needed for all household building work. Under permitted development rules you can carry out a number of household building work projects, provided they meet certain limits and conditions.

Please call Plan B Architecture Today On 0208 4072472 and we can guideand advise you regarding your building works.

Last modified on Thursday, 09 November 2017 22:18